While walking through my local Home Depot a few weeks ago, I
discovered a new gardening product that made me smile. It was called
"Palm Rounds," and when I looked into it, I learned it is made by a
larger company called "Water Rounds" which produces the same basic
invention for tomato plants, small trees, and all sorts of different
sized shrubs. What struck me so much about this product was how simple
it was. I felt like an idiot for not inventing it myself! All it really
seems to be is the top of a pot that has been removed from the bottom
half - in essence, a water retaining ring with teeth on it to dig into
the soil below. I can see this turning into a popular new home for all
sorts of plants just about anywhere.
Since I was not planning on
purchasing any of these "Palm Rounds," but instead buy some new flowers
for my slowly expanding garden, I decided to only get one and test it
out. I promptly took it home and looked for a place to use it since I
don't exactly have any palm trees (or any other tropical plants) growing
in my back yard for that matter. I ended up using it on some tomato
plants instead which seemed to be in need of a little help. I decided to
try it out and see if the retaining ring would in fact help them grow
better. One of the problems I've been having with my tomatoes is that
the soil where they were planted is slightly elevated from the rest of
the garden. The dirt is very hard packed throughout. Every time I water
these suckers, it seems to disperse everywhere, and I guess I've just
been too disenchanted to do anything about it.
After installing
the water round I decided it would be best to water all my plants as
usual and see if there was in fact any difference. At first, I thought I
may have drowned my tomatoes because of how soaked they were compared
with how they had looked before. Then I discovered it. No, it was just
because I drenched them with the hose and had the retaining ring way too
high above the ground. I had basically created a miniature swimming
pool for them by keeping my standard watering habits! I lowered the ring
a bit deeper into the soil (which had now softened up a bit), and there
it was. A Palm Round tomato plant! A seemingly ridiculous combination
that would turn into a great success! About a week and a half later, and
after reducing the amount of water I gave those specific tomatoes, they
really started to come alive! It was amazing how that ring cut did
exactly what it said (minus the instructions on how far above the soil
it should be placed). My tomatoes are juicier than they have ever been,
and the plant doesn't look like it's about to die. The best part about
it is that I can still neglect it, and it can hold its own!
Even
though I have experimented with many different watering systems and drip
lines, I find this product to be especially interesting. It can be
incorporated into anything I may have installed in the past and
basically works as a catalyst to further their individual causes. I am
definitely looking forward to purchasing more of these for the rest of
my garden and the trees out in my front yard. I have always been a man
looking for new ways to improve the planet around me, and keep money in
my pocket.
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar